THE RULES: Click on the link for one or more of the stories. Read the story. Post a comment about the story, using the questions provided as a guideline. Respond to other comments about the story. Enjoy yourself.

Comments are moderated, so there might be a short delay before they appear. Please keep the language clean and the comments friendly.


DON'T BE SHY ABOUT LEAVING COMMENTS ON THE STORIES!!!!!! THE MORE COMMENTS--THE MORE FUN IT IS FOR EVERYONE!!!

Monday, June 6, 2011

The Rube

The Rube, by Zane Grey


1) Does Grey's play-by-play account of a baseball game generate excitement and suspense?

2) Does Grey's depiction of the lives of minor-league baseball players from a century ago make their lives sound appealing? Is it a job you would enjoy having if you had the requisite talent?

1 comment:

Bill said...

Great storytelling! This is the way we all wish we could to see Baseball! It's knowing the players by name and seeing the season unfold. The outcome of present events are depended and built upon the memory of past ones... There is continuity.

Regarding the play by play... To me it was not so much the excitement but the Imagery! So descriptive! You can really 'see' what is happening. "He had a wide-sweeping outcurve, wide as the blade of a mowing scythe." I couldn't help but hear Ernie Harwell voice as Zan's narrator in the story. It really brought me back to my youth.

Would I want to be a part of that life?... I don't know. I don't know if I really want to be a part of a team, an unbeatable team, whose star pitcher has to get mad enough to beat up his own team after the game to win!

I really liked the story, it really takes me to a time and place that was already long gone when I was youngster. When the 'theater of the mind' was a good thing. I miss the time when you say that you 'saw it all' on the radio! Someone should write a book on that... (Oh yeah, you already did Tim!)